Re: Solaris "/usr/bin/write" bug

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 14:38:38 PST

    >However, even if this is overflowable into a shell with tty permissions,
    >I can see nothing useful coming out of it.
    >
    >crw--w----   1 dm       tty       24,  0 Mar  9 14:39 pts@0:0
    >
    >Those are the permissions on the terminal.  The most I can see happening is
    >someone writing to my screen when I have messages turned off.

    No, all that can happen is that someone writes to your screen when you
    have messages *ON*.

    Write filters these messages for content and prepends a "from user ..."
    etc message and it stops writing when messages are turned off in response
    to write; with a fd to a tty you can continue to write and write arbitrary
    control characters.

    Casper