Re: sendmail 8.9.3 patches to curb RCPT harvesters

From: Tim Pierce (twpat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 22:47:58 PST

    On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 07:31:21PM -0500, Peter W wrote:
    > Aleph One wrote:
    >
    > > I am killing the spam address harvesting thread unless someone posts some
    > > actual code.
    >
    > Per Joseph's suggestion. Use these patches against sendmail 8.9.3 and add
    >
    > O RCPTFailDelay=30
    >
    > to sendmail.cf to make sendmail sleep() for 30 seconds before reporting any
    > "550" errors. Set the value to 0 for "normal"  behavior.

    According to the reports I'm seeing, GeoList Pro does not wait for a
    response from the server -- instead, it streams the RCPT TO commands
    continuously and then reads the results at the end of transmission.
    If that is the case, it doesn't sound like this patch will have any
    effect.

    --
    Regards,
    Tim Pierce