Bypassing Excel Macro Virus Protection

From: rotaiv (rotaivat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 09:51:09 PST

    With the sudden attention macro viruses have received over the
    weekend, I thought I would share a couple of items I find concerning
    with Excel macro viruses.

    In Excel, if you go to "Tools - Options - General" you can check the
    "Macro Virus Protection" check-box and this should prevent any macro
    viruses being executed without your knowledge.  This is true is most
    cases but it can be bypassed with several methods.

    Password Protected Spreadsheets
    =========================

    If a file is password protected, Excel assumes this to be a "trusted"
    source so it ignores the "Macro Virus Protection" option.  This allows
    any code contained in the document to be executed without the users
    knowledge.

    Here is a scenario that should not be to hard to believe:  Someone
    downloads a list of passwords for pornographic sites from alt.sex and
    types in a disclaimer password such as "I AM AN ADULT".  This allows a
    macro virus can be executed even if the "Macro Virus Option" is
    checked.

    The solution is simple.  Don't open any password documents from a non
    trusted source.  If you really want to open the file, type in the
    password then hold down the SHIFT key before you click "OK" on the
    password dialog box.  Holding down the shift key will by-pass any
    macros and prevent them from being executed.

    For more details, refer to the following TechNet article:
    Q176640 - XL: No Macro Virus Warning Appears Opening Protected
    Workbook

    Documents in the XLSTART Directory
    ============================

    Any documents saved in the XLSTART directory are considered to be a
    "trusted" source so once again, the "Macro Virus Protection" is
    ignored.  The solution here is obvious but no so easy to implement.
    Don't allow any documents (or shortcuts) to be saved in this
    directory.  Remember, many users may have their PERSONAL.XLS file in
    this directory which contains macros they have supposedly created
    themselves.

    The XLSTART directory on my PC is as follows:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart

    For more details, refer to the following TechNet article:
    Q180614 - XL: Workbooks in Startup Folder Are Not Scanned for Macros

    Disabling 'Macro Virus Protection'
    =========================

    With Word, the macro virus protection can be disabled with the
    following command:
    Options.VirusProtection = False

    To my knowledge, there is no such command for Excel.  However, this
    option can be changed with a reg hack that could be initiated from a
    batch file or from a VBA macro Shell command.  On my PC, the "Macro
    Virus Protection" option is stored as a dword value in the following
    registry key:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel\Microsoft
    Excel]

    To enable the virus protection, use:
       "Options6"=dword:00000008

    To disable the virus protection, use:
       "Options6"=dword:00000000

    This may not be exactly the same for every PC as "Options6" controls
    several options depending on the value of the first four bits.  See
    below for details:

    bit 0    Show Name part of Chart Tips
    bit 1    Show Value part of Chart Tips
    bit 2    Intellimouse Roll action: 0 = scroll, 1= zoom
    bit 3    Macro Virus Protection
    bit 4-15 (Reserved)

    For more details, refer to the following TechNet article:
    Q169811 - XL97: Using the Policy Editor to Force Macro Virus
    Protection

    Conclusion
    ========

    I am sure many people are under the impression that if the "Macro
    Virus Protection" option is enabled in Excel they are safe from macro
    viruses.  However, if someone felt so inclined, they could easily
    bypass this protection and execute VBA code without the users
    knowledge.

    I have tested all the above examples using Microsoft Office97
    Professional with SR2.  I found the references in TechNet but I have
    not searched Microsoft's Web-site to see if there are any patches or
    hot-fixes for these three items.

    'nuff said ...

    rotaiv  -£-