Re: Blocking the Melissa Trojan

From: John D. Hardin (jhardinat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 20:12:22 PST

    On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

    >At 03:28 PM 3/27/99 -0800, John D. Hardin wrote:
    >>On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
    >>
    >>> Excellent. Is there a default "poisoned executables" file in the
    >>> package? Or do admins have to construct a list themselves?
    >>
    >>They have to make it themselves if they wish to use the facility. The
    >>web page has a suggested list of filenames.
    >
    > Sounds good. Now, for the next twist to the story.
    >
    > It turns out that the Melissa code also infects NORMAL.DOT, so that
    > the computer starts producing infected documents. When one of those
    > documents hits a machine that hasn't been infected yet, that machine
    > sends out a barrage of e-mail.... Using the NEW document as the
    > attachment! It'll have a different name.  So, we also need to filter
    > by subject and body.

    That's a job that regular procmail is well suited to. If the subject
    is fixed (hang on, reading bugtraq...)

    Per Aleph1:
     The subject line is "important Message From <some user name>". The
     body consist of the text "Here is that document you asked for...
     don't show anyone else;-)".

    That's fairly simple...

    :0 H
    * ^Subject:.*important Message From
    {
      :0 B
      * Here is that document you asked for
      * don't show anyone else
      * ^Content-.*: .*\.do[ct]
      {
        LOG='REJECT Possible "Melissa" Microsoft Word macro worm: '

        :0
        security-quarantine
      }
    }

    --
     John Hardin KA7OHZ                               jhardinat_private
     pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5