Netcache snmp behaviour

From: Marco Davids (mdavidsat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 23:43:40 PDT

    Hi,

    We noticed an unexpected behaviour on our NetApps C630
    Netcache's. The problem even seems to exist in the latest software-
    release 3.3.1.

    The problem concerns the SNMP default community-name setting,
    which is set to 'public'.

    When changed into something else, using the webinterface, one
    might think that de default community-name is disabled. However,
    this is not the case. The new community-names are simply added
    to the existing default one. In other words; using the webinterface
    to enter extra community-names will _not_ disable the default.

    SNMP-Information can thereby still be retreived form the 'toaster'.
    This enables easy access to information you might not want to
    reveal.

    The only thing I could come up with to avoid this problem is to
    manually  telnet into the Netcache, and issue the command: 'snmp
    delete ro community public' after every reboot.
    (this can only be done in the 'extended' command-mode)

    One could also edit /etc/rc and include this command, but please
    note that after every change through the web-interface this /etc/rc
    file is overwritten.

    Off course it is probably wise, although not allways an option, to
    restrict snmp-access at all, for instance by using router-
    accesslists.

    Cheers.

    Marco Davids                      +31(0)15 8881000 fax +31(0)15 8881099
    N.V. Casema -- Internet NOC       mailto:mdavidsat_private
    Systemadministrator               http://www.casema.net/~mdavids