Solaris7 and ff.core

From: Russell Van Tassell (russellat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 22:11:03 PDT

    Forgive me as I just started playing with Solaris 7 and don't recall
    seeing this yet posted to Bugtraq.

    It would appear as though an old bug with the OpenWeirdos File Mangler
    has crept up again in Solaris 7 (I believe patch 106222-01 was supposed
    to fix it back in Solaris 2.6 (and 106224-01 in Solaris 2.5.1)).  Very
    basically, using ff.core it is possible for a normal user to overwrite
    arbitrary files on the system (that would include things like /etc/shadow)
    and do serious damage to the system (I will leave that exercise to the
    reader).

    Admins should remove the setuid and setgid bits from ff.core.

    Regards,
    Russell

    --
    Russell M. Van Tassell