Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / ...

From: Thomas Roessler (roesslerat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 13:32:44 PDT

    On 1999-04-11 16:13:21 +0400, GvS wrote:

    >  MC> The locks are 666 for a reason.

    > The lock mode MUST be selectable. I can't see almost any reason for
    > world-writable locks for me and my systems. If somebody wants to,
    > he can set them 0666 by hand. In any case I would require truly
    > shared mailboxes, it's enough for me to have the lock mode
    > group-writable (0660) and permit access for the specified group.
    > And only!

    If you really have to use global locks, and can't use well-defined
    mechanisms like mail spool dot locking, flock, or fcntl to achieve
    what you want to do, just use the mail folder's mode for the lock
    file, and open a folder read-only if you can't lock it.

    (Not that I find global lock files for a MUA very clever - after
    all, there are more mail clients on the net than just Pine.)

    tlr
    --
    http://home.pages.de/~roessler/