Re: Serious security holes in web anonimyzing services-non html

From: Toby Barrick (tbarri@AMEX-TRS.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 17:34:28 PDT

    --------------67C94EAD81E791EB5B4220B0

    Sorry for the dual post, the first was html format.

    This is more of a browser/Java issue. This not only affects annon
    sevices but proxy/firewall services also!!!

    Toby Barrick

    Patrick Oonk wrote:

    > From: "Richard M. Smith" <smithsat_private>
    > Subject: Serious security holes in Web anonymizing services
    > Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:23:25 -0400
    > Newsgroups: comp.security.misc
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > I found very serious security holes in all of the major
    > anonymous Web surfing services (Anonymizer, Aixs, LPWA, etc.).
    > These security holes allow a Web site to obtain information about
    > users that the anonymizing services are suppose to be hiding.  This
    > message provides complete details of the problem and offers
    > a simple work-around for users until the security holes are
    > fixed.
    >
    > The April 8th issue of the New York Times has an article
    > by Peter H. Lewis in the Circuits section that describes
    > various types of services that allow people to anonymously
    > surf the Web.  The article is entitled "Internet Hide and
    > Seek" and is available at the NY Times Web site:
    >
    >     http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/04/circuits/articles/08pete.html
    >
    > (Note, this article can only viewed if you have a free
    > NY Times Web account.)
    >
    > The three services described in the article are:
    >
    >     Anonymizer (http://www.anonymizer.com)
    >     Bell Labs (http://www.bell-labs.com/project/lpwa)
    >     Naval Research Laboratory (http://www.onion-router.net)
    >
    > In addition, I found a pointer to fourth service in a security
    > newsgroup:
    >
    >     Aixs (http://aixs.net/aixs/)
    >
    > The best known of these services is the Anonymizer at
    > www.anonymizer.com.  However all four services basically
    > work in the same manner.  They are intended to hide
    > information from a Web site when visited by a user.  The
    > services prevent the Web site from seeing the IP address,
    > host computer name, and cookies of a user.  All the services act
    > as proxies fetching pages from Web sites instead of users
    > going directly to Web sites.  The services make the promise
    > that they don't pass private information along to
    > Web sites.  They also do no logging of Web sites that
    > have been visited.
    >
    > After reading the article, I was curious to find out how well
    > each of these services worked.  In particular, I wanted to
    > know if it would be possible for a Web site to
    > defeat any of these systems.  Unfortunately, with less
    > than an hour's worth of work, I was able to get all four
    > systems to fail when using Netscape 4.5.
    >
    > The most alarming failures occurred with the Anonymizer and Aixs
    > systems.  With the same small HTML page I was able
    > to quietly turn off the anonymzing feature in both services.
    > Once this page runs, it quickly redirects to a regular
    > Web page of the Web site.  Because the browser is no
    > longer in anonymous mode, IP addresses and cookies
    > are again sent from the user's browser to all Web servers.
    > This security hole exists because both services fail to properly
    > strip out embedded JavaScript code in all cases from HTML
    > pages.
    >
    > With the Bell Labs and NRL systems I found a different
> [...]

    begin:vcard
    n:Barrick;Toby
    tel;cell:602-790-5438
    tel;fax:602-753-6549
    tel;home:602-496-6507
    tel;work:602-766-3705
    x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    url:http://www.americanexpress.com
    org:American Express;DIT
    adr:;;9630 N 25th Ave 4th Floor;Phoenix;AZ;85021;US
    version:2.1
    email;internet:tbarri@amex-trs.com
    title:Internet Security
    note;quoted-printable:Home email:=0D=0Atbarrickat_private
    x-mozilla-cpt:24.1.209.79;30144
    fn:Toby Barrick
    end:vcard

    --------------67C94EAD81E791EB5B4220B0--