Re: FlowPoint ADSL Reported Problem

From: David Brumley (dbrumleyat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 20:33:41 PDT

    > Recently there was a note in the bug list (below) indicating that
    > FlowPoint Routers do not set an administration password.  This statement
    > is false, but the vulnerability of the router to folks not changing the
    > default router password is well known.

    What's false about the statement?  Is there or is there not either
    a. a universal password (say, admin) as some reported
    b. no password at all
    and full telnet access open by default?

    > Our GUI asks the user to change the password.

    And suppose your GUI isn't supported on my OS?

    > Release 3.0.2 onwards requires the user to enter the password
    > to access any information via the console or telnet.

    [--snip--]
    Okay, here starts the recommendation for *admins*.  This is exactly what I
    was pointing out.  Thanks for giving examples.

    However, it has nothing to do with your product doing something bad in the
    first place.  Out of the box I can control your router.

    Why don't you disable SNMP and telnet when a password isn't set like some
    router companies?  Or perhaps have the default password unique to each
    machine...say the serial number and turn off SNMP completely?  This would
    limit the threat to those with physical access, and considering where most
    aDSL's are found, i don't think it'd be a big problem.  Half a dozen other
    possible solutions spring to mind.  Offline I'd be happy to discuss them
    with you.

    Incident response teams all over have noted that users with cable modems
    have been targeted by some nefarious individuals.  As aDSL moves into this
    market, naturally the kiddies will want to take advantage of it.  This is
    the number one reason you, me, and every  other aDSL user should be
    concerned.

    Cheers,
    -db