Re: Serious security holes in web anonimyzing services

From: Ben Laurie (benat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 12:47:21 PDT

    Patrick Oonk wrote:
    > With the Bell Labs and NRL systems I found a different
    > failure.  With a simple JavaScript expression I was
    > able to query the IP address and host name of the
    > browser computer.  The query was done by calling the
    > Java InetAddress class using the LiveConnect feature
    > of Netscape Navigator.  Once JavaScript has this
    > information, it can easily be transmitted it back to a
    > Web server as part of a URL.

    This is not news. We (Major Malfunction and I) pointed this hole out
    years ago (in Jan '97 to be precise; seems even longer):

    http://www.alcrypto.com/java/

    to quote the page: "Even the mighty anonymizer retires after
    the first round, nose bleeding and ego bruised." Well, you know, these
    guys with weird names like the flowery prose :-)

    Cheers,

    Ben.

    --
    http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html