Re: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability

From: Juha Jäykkä (juoljaat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 23:04:31 PDT

    > Not like a DES , this encryption can be decrypted. As a result of many
    > experiments i wrote this program. It gives me almost all passwords in my
    >  system, because all people use Netscape.

      Blast it. It does not matter even if you used TwoFish, BlowFish or
    IDEA! The passwords saved in the preferences file would still be easily
    decrypted.
      People seem to be forgetting a very important point here: the
    encryption password must be internally stored somewhere because the user
    never gets asked for it. Thus it is not never necessary to "crack" the
    passwords because we can always use the original password.
      I see this same line of thought here every now and then: people report
    "bugs" like this while they are indeed vulnerable by design. There is no
    secure way of storing a password and recalling it without asking the
    user for some kind of passphrase. Please someone correct me, if I'm
    wrong at this. I know of no such cryptosystem.
      The method of saving only a hash won't work here since the actual
    password is needed in order to access the pop server.
      While I'm at it, has Netscape corrected the imap password saving
    behaviour yet? Up to, and including, communicator 4.5 the imap passwords
    got stored to the preferences file regardless of the setting "Remember
    my password". I have disallowed write access to my prefs.js file to
    prevent the imap password from being stored but it's quite frustrating
    to change the permissions every time I need to turn Javascript on to
    view some darn page that doesn't work without.

    --
    Juha Jäykkä, juhajat_private
    PS See http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/ for latest version of RSA in