Re: RH Linux telnet problems

From: James, Samuel P (JAMESSPat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 10:46:39 PDT

    The purpose of denying root telnet access is to prevent brute force attacks
    on the root password.
    I would assume any competent admin will be well aware of this behavior and
    should already know that he can not login as root via telnet. I also would
    assume any competent admin would disable telnet after installing ssh.
    Installing ssh and leaving your telnet service running "defeats the purpose"
    of using ssh to begin with.

    Software developers can not compensate completely for the stupidity of the
    admin.  Read some system administration books, what is the one thing they
    all have in common? DONT USE ROOT and if you do, do it only for a damn good
    reason, and for ONLY that reason.  IMHO logging in as root from ssh is no
    better then logging in as root via telnet. You just shouldn't do it.

    One last thing, id rather have a would be cracker spending days trying to
    compromise a disabled root telnet login than finding out the first try and
    moving to the next account.

    Just my 2 cents
    Sam James