Re: stored credentials was: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability

From: Jay R. Ashworth (jraat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 24 1999 - 12:12:28 PDT

    On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 05:06:33PM -0400, Jefferson Ogata wrote:
    > The encryption key then can only be retrieved by a user that can arrange
    > that its own program have the filesystem.inode under which a key was stored,
    > i.e. the owner of the directory where the binary is located, or root. Root
    > could also just pull the key directly out of the database.
    >
    > I guess the original topic of discussion was the feasibility of a system
    > that not even root could subvert. This doesn't qualify, but it does allow
    > programs to save encrypted passwords that can be decrypted only by the
    > program that stored them (or root) in a publically readable file. And I'm
    > sure there's something fundamentally flawed about it, because I'm not a
    > cryptography expert.

    Alas, what is fundamentally flawed about it is that when I re-install
    my backup software on a Friday afternoon, it will no longer be able to
    access the capability key it needs to back up my servers, something I
    will not find out until Monday morning, when I discover that my hard
    drive crashed Sunday afternoon...

    Cheers,
    -- jra
    --
    Jay R. Ashworth                                                jraat_private
    Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.