Network Appliance NFS filer root hole

From: Pete Ashdown (pashdownat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 09:58:54 PDT

    For Network Appliance NFS filer release:
      NetApp Release 5.2.1: Thu Dec 31 12:56:45 PST 1998

    Following "Example 1" on page 136 of the "System Administrator's Guide" for
    the Network Appliance results in a gaping hole.  In this example, they
    explain that "the following line exports the root directory of the default
    filter volume to the administration host with root privileges."

    	/vol/vol0  -root=adminhost

    This is all fine and good, but it also exports to the WORLD with root
    privileges.  You have to specify either "-access", or "-rw", or "-ro" in
    addition to "-root" for this not to happen.  When I mentioned this to my
    NetApp SE, I was met with quizzical looks, but no code-update or patch.
    Thusly, I sent it to bugtraq.