Re: NT/Exceed D.O.S.

From: Matt Wilbur (mattat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 13:57:51 PDT

    Exceed (an X server, not an X emulator) version 6.0.1.0 on NT appears to
    have fixed this problem, somewhat...

    Telnetting to port 6000 locks the server up for 20-30 seconds, but it
    recovers eventually.  Not surprisingly, using netcat has the same effect...
    although, contrary to Chris's findings with Exceed 5, I didn't need to send
    any garbage characters, the connection alone did the job.  Also, it works
    from any host, not just the one the xdm session had been initiated with,
    regardless of host access settings in Xconfig, Exceeds "configuration" tool.

    I'd still consider this DoS-bait, when you imagine a one-liner to
    continuously connect to port 6000 of your favorite Exceed user's machine.

    Matt Wilbur

    [snip]