Re: MSIE 5 favicon bug

From: Flavio Veloso (flaviovsat_private)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 10:15:56 PDT

    On Mon, 3 May 1999, Kurt Seifried wrote:

    > > When MSIE 5 users bookmark a page, the browser will request a file
    > > named "favicon.ico" which is to be used in the "Favorites" menu of the
    > > browser. Unfortunately MSIE 5 doesn't check the file integrity and
    > > crash if faced with a bad-formed icon file.
    > >
    > > Upon crashing the stack gets filled with information from the icon
    > > file itself, so it may be possible to run code on the client machine,
    > > tough I didn't test it.
    >
    > Doesn't work for me. NT Server 4.0, SP4, MSIE 5.0 (5.00.2314.1003). Tried
    > repeatedly.

    Due to some reports, it seems that NT users aren't affected. The GPF
    is triggered in the USER.EXE module which I bet is different from the
    one on Win 95/98, where I did my tests. You're the first one to report
    that OSR/2 isn't affected which sounds very strange to me, since it
    came (I believe) before 98.

    > > Microsoft was notified twice about this issue via the "Report a Bug"
    > > form on their web site. The first time about one month ago, the second
    > > time about two weeks ago. I didn't receive back any reply.
    >
    > Tried it from a couple of Win95 (OSR/2, no patches) machines with MSIE 5.0,
    > no crash either... if anyone can replicate this I'd be curious to know. How
    > have you gone about testing this? Which platform(s)? Win98 only?

    I tested it in two different machines:

    * Windows 95 + IE 5.00.2314.1003

    * Windows 98 + IE 5.00.2314.1003IS (the "IS" is because this is
      a Portuguese version of the browser, I guess)

    Both crashed miserably.

    --
    Flavio