Re: Oracle Intellegent agent installedoracle-digested

From: John Ritchie (ritchiejat_private)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 13:36:33 PDT

    On Wed, 5 May 1999, Chris Hallenbeck wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 May 1999, Kis-Szabo Andras wrote:
    >
    > > Oracle8i 8.1.5 Solaris 7
    > > -rwsr-s--x   1 root     dba       1402152 May  3 01:08
    > /oracle/bin/oratclsh
    > >
    > > After the install. This version never run here before.
    >
    >    Solaris 2.6 with Oracle8.0.5 ...installed by the userid "oracle", hence
    > we have:
    > -rwsr-s--x   1 oracle   dba      1492432 Jan  7 08:19 oratclsh
    >
    >   Solution?  Try running the majority of the install as the "oracle" user.
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > HTH!
    >
    > -Chris Hallenbeck

    The root setuid gets set when you run the post-install root.sh as root
    (per the install instructions).  If you don't run root.sh as root
    (directly after the Intelligent Agent install - remember Oracle creates a
    new root.sh with every install) then the file will be owned by the
    installer ID (typically oracle).

    I would suggest that setuid oracle on that file is bad enough.  The simple
    exploit will then get you oracle:dba privs instead of root, but that would
    be enough to have full control of the database.  Oracle's recommended fix
    of removing the setuid bit would still apply.

    John Ritchie
    Oregon University System