Re: Outlook 98 allows spoofing internal users

From: Russ Johnson (rjohnsonat_private)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 11:36:38 PDT

    --=_e7bdb3b332fc1ef5caeab88408c00f4c

    I'm sending this from an Outlook 98 client.

    If you don't have message quoting on, then you are correct. It's tough to
    determine where a message is going, whether it's internal or external.

    For instance, when I hit the "Reply to all" button, it includes the
    following two entries in the To: field:

    Toby Chamberlain; BUGTRAQat_private

    (I removed Toby from the TO: field, since he should get this in the list)

    No mention of Toby's email address. It could be internal or external. I
    agree that MS should give some indication in the To: field that this isn't
    an internal address.

    Until such time that MS agrees with us, the simple work around is to make
    sure to use the "Include Original Message" option for replies and forwards.
    (TOOLS>OPTIONS>EMAIL OPTIONS, lower half of dialog.) Then, the original
    message is included, with the header outlined below. As you can see, the
    external email address is there for all to see. Even when you spoof it as
    outlined previously. Of course, this leaves open the possibility that users
    won't edit the "quoted" text for brevity, and we end up with exponentially
    growing mail.

    It's not the best solution, but MS may choose to not agree with us.

    Russ