Re: MSIE 5 favicon bug

From: Jason (listsat_private)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 15:45:18 PDT

    Aloha.

        Below is an exact copy of the information found on the web site Mr.
    Veloso provided us with:

    "The request for the favicon.ico file is first done on the same path of the
    current URL. If the file is not found, MSIE 5 will backup one directory in
    the directory hierarchy and try again. It will do this until it finds the
    file or reaches the web server root (e.g. if you try to bookmark this page,
    MSIE 5 will look for favicon.ico in
    http://web.cip.com.br/flaviovs/sec/favicon/,
    http://web.cip.com.br/flaviovs/sec/, http://web.cip.com.br/flaviovs/ and
    http://web.cip.com.br/)."

        My experience is based on the following platform information:

            Windows 98 with all available updates (3717
            MSIE 5: 5.00.2014.0216IC 128-bit

        Contrary to the information given at the cited URL, my best attempts at
    recreating this alleged phenomenon have been futile. In addition, I am
    fairly confident, based on every log analysis I have performed, that this is
    wrong.

        This is most obvious by creating a large hierarchy of directories like
    the following URL (note: there is nothing at this URL but an empty dir):

    http://www.plasmic.com/~jason/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/

        I supposed that if what Flavio asserted was true, then IE5 would bombard
    the server with a plethora of requests for 'favicon.ico' when I added it to
    my 'Favorites'.

        Here is a sample of what was generated in my apache log file:

        I open up the apache-generated directory listing web page:
    "GET /~jason/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/ HTTP/1.1" 200
    733

        After bookmarking the site, IE tries to find favicon.ico in the
    _current_ directory:
    "GET /~jason/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/favicon.ico
    HTTP/1.1" 404 8999

        Directly thereafter (probably virtually simultaneous connections), IE5
    attempts to retrieve favicon.ico from the _root_ directory of my web server:
    "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 330

        There are no requests in between the ones shown above.

        Implications:

    - This vulnerability may only be exploited by the owner of the current
    directory or the owner of the document root. This does not diminish its core
    significance, but is definitely a fundamental point in the understanding of
    this bug.

    - Adding 'Favorites' does not generate as much traffic or as many requests
    as originally thought.

    Regards,
    Jason Sloderbeck