Re: Infosec.19990305.macof.a

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 06:53:35 PDT

    > Well, um, actually it is supposedly possible to pre-program some
    > switches with the MACs of the host(s) it should see on a given segment.

    Yes, which makes little odds

    > Assuming you've done this, and that it's possible to stop the switch
    > from learning new MACs (I've not yet tried this myself), it should make

    Which isnt needed

    > many of the attacks described to date much more difficult, if not
    > impossible.

    It stops some of the basic spanning tree attacks

    > In addition the switch *is* an extra level of defense, even if it's not
    > 100% guaranteed, as it does prevent trivial sniffing (as anyone who grew
    > up diagnosing Ethernet problems with packet sniffers can tell you!).

    It works the other way. The switch stops the administrator seeing the
    games I'm playing across other ports. Crackers hide behind switches. They
    unicast the attack arps, they redirect the traffic and admins on another
    segment don't even see a change..

    --
    With trembling hands he unfurled the ancient cracked parchment, this was
    the place, it had to be. Uncertainly he began to mumble the chant "rdbms,