Re: SunOS 5.6 (X86) lpset vulnerability

From: Craig Johnston (cajat_private)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 20:39:25 PDT

    On Tue, 11 May 1999, kim yong-jun homepage=ce.hannam.ac.kr/~s96192 wrote:

    > This is my second post to ButTraq.
    > If  this is old, I'm sorry.
    >

    > It's buffer overflow in "/usr/bin/lpset".
    >
    > View this command :
    > [loveyou@/] % /usr/bin/lpset -a key=`perl  -e 'print "x" x 1006'` loveyou
    >
    > [loveyou@/] % /usr/bin/lpset -a key=`perl  -e 'print "x" x 1007'` loveyou
    > Segmentation fault

    On my Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 systems, unless you are already uid 0 or
    are gid 14 lpset bombs before it can dump core, with "Permission
    denied: not in group 14."

    It dumps core as root.

    So apparently this will only get one a gid 14 -> uid 0 upgrade.

    I found on my Solaris systems I had already stripped the setuid bit
    because we don't use the program and Sun does a truly pathetic job of
    rooting the buffer overflows out of their setuid code.

    With the number of units of Solaris that are sold, every setuid/setgid
    binary on the system should have been audited for overflows.  It's
    really pathetic that we are still seeing them.

    It's especially cute when Sun ships a new version with holes for which
    patches were available for the previous version.  (see 'ufsrestore')