Clarification: LD_PRELOAD issue

From: David F. Skoll (dfsat_private)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 06:17:25 PDT

    Hi,

    I feel I need to provide more context for the LD_PRELOAD issue.  Yes,
    I'm well aware that set[ug]id programs ignore LD_PRELOAD and the other
    LD_* environment variables.

    The context is a software license manager.  A commercial software
    organization wants to protect its software with a license manager
    which relies on accurate time information.  Any user of the system,
    including root, must be viewed as a potential cracker.  This is not your
    usual security issue.

    Now, any license manager can be spoofed, from as blunt an attack as
    changing the system time to sophisticated reverse-engineering attacks
    on the license manager binary.  The issue is to prevent "cheap"
    attacks -- if attacking the license manager is expensive enough,
    people won't bother (or they'll find other avenues of attack. :-))

    Changing the system time introduces all kinds of problems, so most
    potential license abusers won't do it.  A two-line shell script with a
    6-line C program is a very cheap attack on a dynamically-linked
    license manager daemon.  Attacking a statically-linked license manager
    binary is quite a bit more expensive, and should greatly reduce the
    incentive for an attack.

    --
    David F. Skoll