Re: Secure Storage of Secrets in Windows

From: Olaf Titz (olafat_private)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 23:42:51 PDT

    > The Win32 API provides such service. Although in the past it was found
    > that its encryption was rather weak Microsoft claims to have fixed it,
    > no one else has claimed otherwise, and its better than nothing.

    Since this allows the encryption of user data and Microsoft ist U.S.
    based , the algorithm _must_ be weak. Otherwise they could have used
    just RC4 with the password as key instead of RC4 with a 32 bit(!)
    hash of the password. This is not Microsoft stupidity but U.S.
    government stupidity.

    With today's CPU power 32 bit of key is not better than nothing.
    I could brute force that in one week with my single PC.

    Olaf