ExLibris Aleph Web server Security Alert

From: Jakub Urbanec (urbanecat_private)
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 03:08:00 PDT

    We have found a security hole in web server bundled with Aleph librarian
    system ver. 3.25 and higher (ExLibris). The web server in its default
    configuration allows anybody to view any file in the system the aleph
    instalation owner can access.

    It it very simple to grab for example /etc/passwd file from Aleph web
    server.

    The bug with all details was already posted to ExLibris
    and to some groups of Aleph users.

    Workaround:

    1) do not run web server as root at any circumstance!
    2) use /etc/shadow or similar system
    3) use tcpd wrappers for denying possible logins
    4) watch logs from web server

    Please spread this message to Aleph admins!

    					Jakub CUBA++ Urbanec

     Univerzitni 20    tel.:+420-19-7491538           Jakub Cuba++ Urbanec
     306 14,  Plzen    http://home.zcu.cz/~urbanec             LPS-CIV-ZCU
     Czech Republic