Possible Netscape/Unix (Debian) problem

From: Graham Evans (gevans@BESPOKE-CONTINENTAL.CO.UK)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 17:32:12 PDT

    I submitted this to Bugtraq a while ago, Aleph One queried it and it has
    taken me some time to recheck it. So apologies for not re-submitting
    this earlier.

    Problem:-

    It is possible to mistakenly use a browser (settings/passwords etc.)
    that is being run on another machine to the one you expect.

    How to recreate:-

    Take two unix boxes (A and B), on the console of A, run X and allow B to
    access the screen (using the xhost command). Telnet into B and (after
    setting the DISPLAY env) run netscape.

    You now get a copy of netscape running on b (type "file:/etc/hostname"
    in the location bar)

    Open a new xterm on A and run netscape, a new window appears, but it is
    just another instance of B's program (again type "file:/etc/hostname" to
    check).

    Why this might be a risk:-

    You have two computers that you use, B has a connection to the internet
    and A holds personal data.  You follow the instructions above and type
    file:/usr/me/stuff.txt, you are actually reading the file off B not A.
    Also if you use this new window to browse an intranet, all
    cookie/password/bookmarks will be stored and read from B, leaving B as a
    target.

    Vulnerable Systems

    I've checked this on two Debian (Ham) boxes running communicator 4.05
    and 4.51.  The problem does not (according to Aleph) appear with Red Hat
    (which is why I suspect it may be a Debian specific problem).

           Graham

             Graham Evans                        Tel +44 (0) 1424 211002
         Internet Consultant                     Fax +44 (0) 1424 217107
         Bespoke Continental               gevans@bespoke-continental.co.uk