Re: Netscape Communicator JavaScript in <TITLE>

From: Usman (akeju00at_private)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 19:32:25 PDT

    "John D. Hardin" wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 May 1999, Georgi Guninski wrote:
    >>snip!<<
    > > The more dangerous part is that this vulnerability MAY BE EXPLOITED
    > > USING HTML MAIL MESSAGE.
    >
    > ...unless you're sanitizing your email. Anybody using an HTML-enabled
    > mail client should at least be aware of the availability of this tool:
    >
    >   ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/antispam/procmail-security.html
    >
    > --
    >  John Hardin KA7OHZ                               jhardinat_private

    Or, just to add the said workaround, if you're only worried about email,
    Netscape 4.5+ users can just disable JavaScript for Mail and News without
    disabling JavaScript altoghether. I know there's still the meta refresh factor
    for HTML-enabled mail clients, though. It would be, IMHO, a good idea for
    Netscape to add a little "Disable/Enable HTML for Mail Messages" checkbox, don't
    you think?

    -Usman Akeju