Re: Solaris libc exploit

From: Peter Harvey Solaris Sustaining Engineering (peter.harveyat_private)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 04:20:03 PDT

    > 4118295 LC_* can be used to obtain root access from setuid programs

    This is already fixed in Solaris 7 and the following patches for
    Solaris 2.6:

      RELEASE     ARCH  PATCH
      5.6         i386  105211-06
      5.6         sparc 105210-06

    The exploit referred to in this thread is in the same area (locales and
    environment variables) but is different.

    > I've tried to find the referenced bug description, but I wasn't able to
    > find it on the Sunsolve KB.

    We tend to be cautious about publishing our security bugs.

    -- Peter
    Sustaining Engineer, Solaris Software, Sun Microsystems
    peter.harveyat_private