Remote vulnerability in pop2d

From: Chris Evans (chrisat_private)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 12:37:13 PDT

    Hi

    Firstly, sorry if any details are hazy - this is from memory (it's two
    months since I last looked at this). This bug concerns the pop-2 daemon,
    which is a part of the Washington University imap package.

    I've been waiting for a CERT advisory, but one doesn't seem to be
    forthcoming. Two and a half months is a long time. Also, the problem has
    been fixed for a long time. I'm posting because

    a) A fixed full release is available, so people should know about it
    b) The flaw is fairly basic and easy to spot, so active exploitation could
    well be happening

    Quick details
    =============

    Compromise possible:  remote users can get a shell as user "nobody"
    If:                   runing pop-2d v4.4 or earlier

    Fixed version:        imap-4.5, available now.

    Not vulnerable
    ==============
    RedHat-6.0 isn't vulnerable because imap-4.5 was shipped.

    Vulnerable
    ==========

    Anyone who shipped the pop-2 component of imap-4.4 or earlier, including
    earlier RedHat releases

    Details of flaw
    ===============

    pop-2 and pop-3 support the concept of an "anonymous proxy" whereby remote
    users can connect and open an imap mailbox on _any server they have a
    valid account on_. An attacker connects to the vulnerable pop-2 port and
    connects it to an imap server under their control. Once logged on, issuing
    a "FOLD" command with a long arg will cause an overflow of a stack based
    buffer.

    The arg to FOLD must be somewhere around 1000 bytes - not much bigger, not
    much smaller. Look at the source.

    Additional

    I think the concept of "anonymous proxy" is just fundamentally insecure.
    It opens up a large code path for remote usrs to explore, i.e. the
    protocol parsing of imap, etc.

    The author of imap very responsibly includes a compile time flag to
    disable this in 4.5.

    Better still, RedHat-6.0 ships with the proxy disabled.

    Cheers
    Chris