Re: Citrix Winframe client for Linux

From: Andy Polyakov (approat_private)
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 15:45:30 PDT

    > > All configuration information is stored in a
    > > directory /usr/lib/ICAClient/config which is mode 777.
    While we're on the matter...

    Background. ICA client lets you "mount" any UNIX directory as a drive
    within any particular WinFrame/MetaFrame session.

    Problem. Files created by Windows on such client-mapped drive appear to
    be world-writable. umask doesn't have no effect. Tracing system calls
    made by the client reveals that all newly created files are scrupulously
    chmoded to 777. Both 2.x and 3.x clients exhibit this behaviour. No, it
    doesn't mean a compromise. But I find it totally inappropriate when such
    important security description as access permissions on newly created
    files is taken behind my back.

    Workaround (for platforms supporting dynamic linking). Compile following
    "module" as a shared object and make run-time linker preload it (e.g. by
    setting LD_PRELOAD on Linux and Solaris and
    _RLD_LIST=${ICAROOT}/chmod.so:DEFAULT on IRIX)

    		int chmod(){return 0;}

    Side effects. If you have version 3.x and a user runs the client for the
    very first time, initial config files are copied from ${ICAROOT}/config
    and they (files) inherit 444 access permissions. To workaround this
    chmod u+w ${ICAROOT}/config/* (files in ${ICAROOT}/config are owner by
    root anyway).

    Andy.