Re: /tmp symlink problems in SuSE Linux 6.1

From: Thomas Biege (thomasat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 22:13:28 PDT

    On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Thomas Fischbacher wrote:

    > > we at SuSE could not reproduce this problem neither for
    > > man nor for dvips.
    >
    > Ok, here is a log of what I just did five minutes ago:
    > (emacs -- M-x shell, btw.)

    [...]

    > You see -- the problem definitely is not fiction! Come over to Munich and
    > see yourself if you want.

    I don't think it's a fiction...
    ... the fact is, that just old releases of SuSE 6.1 seem to be
    vulnerable, the newer releases didn't - man uses open(O_EXCL) and
    drops it's privileges.

    A customer told me, that the behavior you described just happens
    when he opens a big man page for the first time... we will check
    this as soon as posible.

    > > Please send us a full list of "maybe" buggy tools, so we
    > > could evaluate them.
    > ?

    In your first post to bugtraq you mentioned, that more tools have
    /tmp symlink problems... feel free to tell us about them.
    (BTW, I strace'd dvips on my SuSE 6.0 and it never touched /tmp.)

    Bye,
         Thomas
    --
      Thomas Biege, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaeckerstr. 10, 90443 Nuernberg
      E@mail: thomasat_private      Function: Security Support & Auditing