Re: Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98 (?) networked PRN flaw

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 06 1999 - 21:49:24 PDT

    > [lots and lots trimmed]
    >
    > I first encountered this a long time ago when I inadvertantly
    > created a file named 'CON'.  Went round and round through most of
    > the snippage trying to remove it.  What it boils down to is that
    > anything that has the same name as a DOS device (which is a link to
    > an actual device, just like you're used to seeing in /dev) is going
    > to resist getting deleted and moved.
    >
    > The solution is to use a POSIX utility to remove it.  The POSIX

    Whilst I'll assume that this is true (too much trouble to test it and
    it sounds kosher), it is overkill for files.

    Simple DEL CO? will nuke CON (and any other matching file).
    MS-created GUI interfaces (File Manager, Explorer) tend to get in
    the way.

    In the case of directories it might not be so easy...

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald