Re: RedHat 6.0, /dev/pts permissions bug when using xterm

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 11:10:52 PDT

    --==_Exmh_1644654370P

    On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:15:05 -0000, noc-wage <wageat_private>  said:

    > This isn't a particularily "deadly" DoS attack, but can be used as a
    > nuisance OR perhaps even to trick the user into doing something he may
    > not want to do.  (For example dumping "Login:"  then "Password:" to the
    > terminal may trick the user into adding his login/password to a file or
    > his .bash_history).

    It's deadly as they come.

    Man. It was way back in 1983 or so when I first saw the wonders of discarding
    your control terminal, opening a tty to make it your control terminal, and
    then start abusing the TIOCSTI ioctl().  No exploit here - this is so old
    that you should be able to find it ANYPLACE. ;)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    --==_Exmh_1644654370P

    -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBN1wLK9QBOOoptg9JAQFuGgP/ZNK3B7TxsW1rrCmmJqhuQnvr0rOU4hOq
    p0lJnZPl3F3ME1ABMmerFl73snZapATnZLNPiAUrZNVTHpUQywVBanBUNYCIql44
    sNbESNfxp0KY8HinFDjFUP6qQFtzVFtoO36mhlTVKFzNBGYqxEA2P17nJvjEWies
    Jjl8E7jIMzg=
    =Kx99
    -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

    --==_Exmh_1644654370P--