Re: Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98 (?) networked PRN flaw

From: Jens Benecke (jensat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 11:06:55 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 08:20:16AM -0400, STEVENS, Eric wrote:

    > I suppose that, in an effort to maintain reverse compatibility with
    > old MS-DOS command line gurus, you cannot create a file or directory
    > named PRN.xxx where the xxx is replacable with any extension.
    > Explanation and flaw follow.
    (...)
    > Ok, so that doesn't seem so bad, but the real issue is that the
    > directory you've just created is non-removable for as long as it
    > posesses that name.  So let's try to rename the file... oops, can't do
    > that, we get an access violation.  Next, let's try mapping
    > \\whatever\anydir to w:\ again.  I go to my new W drive and try to
    > rename the file, I get the error "Cannot rename prn: A file with the
    > name you specified already exists.  Specify a different filename."
    > Ooooookaaaaay.  Frustrated now, I try to delete the file.  Oops, now
    > it tells me "Cannot delete prn: The parameter is incorrect."  Well,
    > what about that file/directory I've created with the name PRN.xxx?
    > That one vanishes with no problem, but only when the server is
    > referenced in the \\whatever fashion.  When I try to delete this
    > PRN.xxx file from my new W: drive, all it does is lock up my window
    > with a nearly endless hourglass.  Finally, ten minutes later, I'm told
    > "Cannot delete file: File system error (1026)."  But this only occurs

    I get exactly the same error when trying to rename/move/open/copy a file
    that contains UNIX umlauts, when SAMBA is serving that file to any Windows
    flavor. This seems to be a Windows problem, a 'sed' script remaps all the
    "bad" characters and all went well (ok, now you don't see them on UNIX but
    WTH...)

    This was reproduced on all current Windows versions and a Linux box running
    Samba. I think there is already a codepage remapping patch available for
    Samba that fixes this.

    > The next step is to try to delete the parent directory.  This does not
    > work!  PRN still gives access violations, and so the parent directory
    > is locked in place.  So how much harm can this REALLY be?  So I've got
    > a few empty files and directories that are undeletable.  Well, if in
    > stead of just creating a new directory, I copy a large directory to
    > the server, say c:\winnt, or perhaps c:\program files, then rename it
    > to prn, now I've just created half a gig or more (depending on how
    > malicious I am) of un-reclaimable server hard drive consumption.  This
    > directory cannot be browsed!  It has become a sore on the surface of
    > this hard drive.

    The server should at least be capable of removing 'anything' locally. If
    not, this could be a really serious bug, imagine NT, not having user
    quotas, as a $HOME server to a couple bad boys.

    --
    _ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

    Anyone comfortable with using Linux shall use it. | "I'm afraid Linux has a
    Anyone wanting to tell other people what they     |  year-429496 problem"