Re: mIRC 5.6 automatic URL loading

From: Tjerk Vonck (mircat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 00:26:42 PDT

    At 22:49 08-06-99 -0400, Rich Lafferty <richat_private> wrote:
    >About a week ago, mIRC 5.6 was released. Amongst other new features,
    >it includes the following (from the changelog, versions.txt):
    >
    >40.Added "Track Urls" switch to System menu in Channel/Query windows,
    >   auto-opens websites as they are mentioned in a window.

    Wait a sec; There is no general option to enable tracking in all channels
    and/or all query windows. You have to switch it on on a per user (nick) or
    channel base. May we assume people will only do this on channels were they
    feel home and/or with other user they know personally and trust?

    There is no *big red button* to enable this minor gimmick.. It is an option
    in the 'System Menu' (in the top left hand corner of a window) together
    with other things like logging and timestamping.

    >With the cooperation of an mIRC user (thanks Lindy_!), I found that it
    >does exactly as it says ..

    Yes, of course, otherwise it would be buggy. In all exploit examples you
    thought of it is simply a matter of disabling the URL tracking you have set
    active for the channel or query. End of problem.

    Tjerk.

    -------------
    The new mIRC version 5.6 is available now! A new IRC Intro is
    included, as well as a fresh list of IRC servers. Have fun with
    this new mIRC! Read more about mIRC on one of the mIRC WWW pages:

    http://www.mirc.co.uk		United Kingdom	<- mIRC's Homesite
    http://www.geocities.com/~mirc/	USA		<- mIRC's US mirror
    http://www.nip.nl/mirc/		The Netherlands
    http://www.mirc.queen.it/	Italy
    http://mirc.kems.net/		Kuwait
    http://www.mirc.com.ar/		Argentina
    http://www.conesul.com.br/mirc/	Brazil
    http://www.mirc.co.za/		South Africa
    http://mirc.eon.net.au/		Australia

    These pages give a lot of hints and help on mIRC and IRC. Make
    sure to read the mIRC FAQ which is distributed separately from
    mIRC. The FAQ answers a LOT of questions and includes a tutorial
    on Aliases, Popups and on 'programming' mIRC's Tools/Remote
    section...

    Included in mIRC's distribution is an IRC Intro. Look in the
    Help/Contents menu in mIRC for looots of help on IRC and
    solutions to its most common quirks and problems. At
    http://www.mirc.co.uk/servers.ini you can find the most recent
    list of IRC servers.