vulnerability in su/PAM in redhat

From: Tani Hosokawa (unknownat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 14:07:27 PDT

    I was talking to some guy on IRC (st2) and he asked me to mention to
    bugtraq (because he's not on the list) that the PAMified su that comes
    with redhat has a slight hole. When you try to su to root (for example) if
    it's successful, immediately gives you a shell prompt.  Otherwise, it
    delays a full second, then logs an authentication failure to syslog.  If
    you hit break in that second, no error, plus you know that the password
    was bad, so you can brute force root's password.  I wrote a little
    threaded Perl prog that tested it (with a 0.25 second delay before the
    break) to attack my own password (with my password in the wordlist) and it
    seemed to work just fine, even with my own password hundreds of words down
    in the list, so it seems pretty predictable, as long as the server's under
    very little load (else you get a delay no matter what, and it screws the
    whole process by giving false negatives).

    ---
    tani hosokawa
    river styx internet