Re: RedHat 6.0, /dev/pts permissions bug when using xterm

From: Scott Wunsch (scottat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 10:29:42 PDT

    > This is not sufficient when using rxvt and apparently several other
    > xterm-a-likes.  By default rxvt overides the gid with the user's gid
    > and changes the permissions to 622, even if the permissions specified
    > in fstab are more restrictive than 622.  The solution with rxvt is to
    > pass --enable-ttygid to the configure script.

    I've been playing with this, and --enable-ttygid isn't enough either.  It looks
    like rxvt has to bee suid root in order to set the gid on the tty.  Mortals
    can't do it:

    [scott@pytheas] ~$ chgrp tty /dev/pts/1
    chgrp: you are not a member of group `tty': Operation not permitted

    So which one is the bigger security risk?  Suid root xterms or world-writable
    pseudottys?

    --
    Take care,
    Scott \\'unsch