Re: big brother in your cc

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 00:16:52 PDT

    I must admit that I'm quite embaressed about bringing this up without
    properly checking which versions, etc, had the described behaviour as
    it doesn't appear in any of the FCS versions.

    In some mail from Casper Dik, sie said:

    > (I have a strong sense of deja-vu, wasn't this discussed before on
    > BUGTRAQ?  Ah wait, Usenet Oct '98)
    >
    > This compiler "feature" only exists in the pre-FCS compilers (i.e.,
    > Alpha and Beta products) and other pre-FCS workshop products.

    Yes, I should have checked more fully on systems I have at my
    disposal.

    > It was documented in several locations, perhaps even in the
    > "must read and agree to" license, but I think it was pretty prominent.

    And like most licenses which people need to get through to install/get
    software, I (like most people) tend to just click "yes" rather than `waste'
    time reading it.

    Still, I'd have rather seen the email come from foo@ rather than
    nobody@ (which has the effect of making it disappear via /dev/null
    if an error occurs in delivery).