Weird ps behavior

From: alpen (alpenat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 12:55:24 PDT

    This bug falls under the category of programs doing the "wrong thing"
    (tm).

    Under linux 2.3.5 and procps version 1.2.2:

    When a user creates a process and it detaches from the current terminal,
    if the
    account is removed with the deluser,the process(es) stay active but
    disappear from
    the process table that ps (aux) scrolls. I would assume that it could be
    fixed if userdel checked for active processes and terminated them before
    removing the account. My C skills aren't
    good enough to diagnose whether the disappearing processes are is ps or
    a possible poor
    decision in the control of process tables in the kernel.

    	Feedback?
    						-alpen