Re: IIS Remote Exploit (injection code)

From: Ethan Benatan (ethan+@pitt.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 12:09:42 PDT

    >>> "Greg" == Greg Hoglund <hoglundat_private> writes:

     Greg> I read yesturday on eEye.com that they had discovered a buffer
     Greg> overflow in IIS.....

     <snip>

     Greg> Lastly, I would simply like to point out that monoculture
     Greg> installations are very dangerous.  It's a concept from
     Greg> agribusiness.. if you have all one crop, and a virus comes
     Greg> along that can kill that crop, your out of business.

    Very true, and this is a terrifically important message to get out.
    Not to be pedantic but actually it is a concept from ecology: the
    "business", as Greg puts it, can be any system.  Diversity makes for
    resilience, and vice versa.  Okay aleph, it's not a bug but it is a
    way we should be thinking.

     Greg> With
     Greg> almost ALL of the IIS servers on the net being vulnerable to
     Greg> this exploit, we also have a monoculture.  And, it's not just
     Greg> IIS.  The backbone of the Internet is built on common router
     Greg> technology (such as cisco IOS).  If a serious exploit comes
     Greg> along for the IOS kernel, can you imagine the darkness that
     Greg> will fall?

    Ethan
    ethan+@pitt.edu