Filter Patch for .HTR requests... keeps sever functionality.

From: eEye - Digital Security Team (eeyeat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 19:36:03 PDT

    This is a quick fix to allow .htr files, therefore not breaking
    functionality such as /iisadmpwd/. Some companies were asking if there was a
    possible way to fix the .htr hole without removing the .htr ISAPI filter.
    Here is the fix to do so.

    The filter patch we created will limit all .htr requests to 255 characters,
    therefore if someone tries the overflow it will get cut off and will never
    happen. Also, the IP address of the person trying the overflow is logged in
    the application log file along with the actual query.

    Credits:

    This is a modification of ASPBUGFILTER by Christoph Wille
    Christoph.Willeat_private, AUSTRIA.
    The fix was inspired by, Brett Glass brettat_private and Niall McKay
    niallat_private

    For the Patch and Source visit:
    http://www.eeye.com/database/advisories/ad06081999/ad06081999-ogle.html

    If you find any bugs in it send an email to alertat_private

    eEye Digital Security Team
    http://www.eEye.com

    P.S.
    This is not a perfect patch as there are more overflows in ism.dll than just
    .htr extensions... but this patch is a lot better than current
    recommendations and it is open source so you can hack it up to do whatever
    you like... maybe redirect people to a page telling them they have been
    logged or some "scary" thing.

    P.P.S.
    While we are posting we would like to thank the security community for their
    positive response and helpfulness over the last couple of days.