Re: Diversity

From: David (davidat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 20:02:27 PDT

    Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:

    > We can think about it, but what can we do about it? Just as in farming
    > there are reasons why we have the monoculture, and just like they buy
    > more pesticides, we buy virus scanners to fix our solution rather than
    > designing another solution. In fact we have even less ability to move
    > away from it than farming. If a farmer bucks the trend and therebye has

    Not so.  The most simple form of diversity I recommend to clients is a
    multi-tiered network structure.  Different segments are isolated by
    differing systems.

    Border firewalls are built with two different operating systems.  I never
    recommend m$ on the border..go figure.  Having differing IP stacks for a
    packet to travel through increases the chances that malicious packets will
    get trapped on one of them and the internal network remains protected.

    In *nix land, we don't rush out and buy more virus scanners, we fix the
    problem.  Matter of fact, virus scanning on *nix networks tends to fall into
    the "I'll do it when i get around to it" area.  *nix is a perfect example of
    diversity.  Unix type people didn't buy virus scanners, they have fathered
    the varied groups of systems that we have today.  An amazing amount of
    forethought has gone into the development of each flavor of *nix.  Different
    theories are implemented in different stacks.  Sometimes this has caused
    problems, but overall it engenders a resilliency to faulting.

    *nix programmers typically build in reliability and security in the design
    which makes the base structure sound.  Yes, a lot of buffer overflows are
    found and quickly fixed however one must consider that this is a system
    where you have walls inside the server.  Sometimes even root can't get
    around those walls.  There is precious little on an m$ system that cannot be
    had once priviledged access is gained.

    Diversity can certainly be thought about.  The open source model encourages
    program development.  Many people writing differing versions of software.
    Naturally this diversity means an exploit in one program is unlikely to be
    found in another.

    Diversity is certainly alive and flourishing, make no mistake.

    If major Cisco bug came out, your customers will complain due to the
    widespread use of Cisco equipment.  Not everyone uses Cisco however and not
    every Cisco machine is going to be reachable to crash.  Some of your
    customers wouldn't even notice, some of your customers would see a few slow
    or dropped sites.  Some would find their favorite place unreachable.  The
    internet is an extremely diverse culture of equipment and people and short
    of a humanitarian disaster, nothing is going to take the whole thing down.

    Encourage diversity.  No one operating system should dominate.  Only OS
    zealots would differ with this view.

    -d

    --
     This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
      Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux