Re: Diversity

From: Forbes_Thayneat_private
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 08:55:49 PDT

    Please forgive me discussing diversity whilst replying with MS-Outlook.
    Yes, I understand the irony.

    	[...] An amazing amount of
    > forethought has gone into the development of each flavor of *nix.
    > Different
    > theories are implemented in different stacks.  Sometimes this has caused
    > problems, but overall it engenders a resilliency to faulting.
    >
    > Diversity can certainly be thought about.  The open source model
    > encourages
    > program development.  Many people writing differing versions of software.
    > Naturally this diversity means an exploit in one program is unlikely to be
    > found in another.

    	[Forbes, Thayne]   Recently I was explaining to a youngster why the
    Internet
    	Worm had been so damaging.  To my mind there were two reasons.  One,
    	about two thirds of the net was using the two OS/applications that
    it targetted.
    	(If I recall correctly, SUNos and VMS, Sendmail and fingerd).  Not
    much diversity.
    	Secondly, many/most organizations reaction to the incident was to
    disconnect
    	from the net, forcing them to diagnose and correct the problem by
    themselves.

    	Certainly we are seeing the first phenomomin again.  I allude the
    the second as
    	the result of an effective DoS attack on Cisco equipment.  Frankly,
    I think David
    	wildly underestimates the impact of a widespread Cisco problem.

    	 If major Cisco bug came out, your customers will complain due to
    the