packetstorm became the victim of FUD

From: Andreas Bogk (andreasat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 16:53:45 PDT

    Hi!

    Since there are many security professionals and adminstrators of large
    sites on this list, I hope that one of the readers has a mirror of
    packetstorm. If you do, even if it's just partial or a year old,
    please contact Ken Williams (<jkwilli2at_private>), the author of
    packetstorm.

    Here's the scoop of the events as reported on hnn:

    -------------

    http://www.hnn.com

    Internet Bully Shuts Down Largest Free Security Site

      AntiOnline Forces Packet Storm Security OffLine

    Written by Cult_Hero and Space Rogue
    Wednesday afternoon, the PacketStorm Security site
    (packetstorm.harvard.edu) was abruptly shut down with little
    warning. PacketStorm was one of the largest and most respected
    sites catering to security professionals worldwide. Boasting an
    average of 400,000 hits a day, pushing out roughly 10 gigs of
    traffic, the site was a valuable resource to an estimated 10,000
    security professionals world wide.

    This major security resource did not suffer at the hands of
    hackers, crackers, network intruders, or cyber terrorists.
    Instead, a new kind of malicious bad guy found success through
    a fear that haunts more and more Americans today. A single
    piece of email from John Vranesevich (founder of AntiOnline) to
    the university hosting Packetstorm requested that the site be shut
    down. This email claimed that PacketStorm was hosting
    potentially libelous material about John Vranesevich. Like most
    US institutions, the idea of being taken to court for any reason is
    enough to scare them into hasty action. With that mail, Harvard
    University pulled the plug.

    Email from Ken Williams, primary administrator for the site,
    indicated that not only did Harvard shut down the site, they
    denied him access to the machine and all information stored on
    it. The correspondence noted the likelihood that all information on
    the machine, and all backups would be destroyed in order to
    avoid any sort of legal fallout from AntiOnline. "All of the content
    and the backups made are either destroyed, being destroyed
    now, or will be before I can do anything to prevent it." said
    PacketStorm founder Ken Williams.

    Williams went on to say that he does not fear any fraudulent
    lawsuit Vranesevich could attempt to level at him. The
    information contained on the site regarding Vranesevich was not
    in violation of any US law that he was aware of, and had been
    there for over a year. Along with the security site, months of
    William's own school work was lost. "I have just lost seven weeks
    of [class] work and data that cannot be replaced in 4 weeks."
    Williams said, referring to deadlines on the school work.

         "What bothers me the most is that all of the
         countless hours I put into that web site and the
         archives, thousands of hours, are gone now, for
         good." - Ken Williams, PacketStorm founder

    These vague and unfounded accusations only serve to hurt the
    security community. AntiOnline's mission statement claims they
    exist "to educate the public on computer security related issues."
    Apparently, this mission statement forgot to include such things
    like "educate the public through OUR site only" or "as long as we
    profit from it".

    So now what? Ken is fearing for his job, and wonders if he will be
    able to finish school with his schoolwork missing. Numerous
    offers of alternate host sites have been made to Ken Williams but
    it is unlikely that there is data available to put on such a site due
    to Harvard Universities hasty actions.

    For examples of the 'libelous' material hosted on the Packet
    Storm site see attrition.org

    Ken Williams was kind enough to provide his thoughts on this
    sordid mess.

    Email from Ken Williams

    We attempted to contact John Vranesevich for comment but he
    did not respond to our email. We also attempted to contact
    AntiOnline's ISP and have received no reply.

    John Vranesevich has posted his version of events on his site.

    Comments from John Vranesevich

    Oh, yeah, AntiOnline considers HNN evil and blocks links from
    HNN to his web site. We assume that he doesn't want people to
    read both sides of the issue.