Re: cfingerd 1.3.2

From: Andreas Bogk (andreasat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 14:19:41 PDT

    "Larry W. Cashdollar" <lwcashdat_private> writes:

    > An easy and quick Patch for cfingerd 1.3.2. if you really need to run finger.

    If you _really_ want to run finger without having to worry, you should
    use dfingerd by David Lichteblau. It is modelled after ffingerd by
    Felix von Leitner.

    The ffingerd blurb says:

     It disallows symbolic links as ~/.plan and ~/.project files, does not
     display unnecessary but potentially useful information for an attacker,
     like the shell or the home directory and disallows indirect and @host
     queries.  A compile time option is fascist logging (even positive queries
     are syslogged).

    You can get ffingerd at

     ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/unix/security/ffingerd/ffingerd-1.21.tar.gz

    dfingerd has an identical feature set, but is written in Dylan. Since
    amongst the many features of Dylan are bounds checking for arrays and
    dynamically growing strings, this should eliminate all buffer
    overflows and associated exploits. You can find out about Dylan at:

     http://www.gwydiondylan.org/

    and you can get dfingerd at

     ftp://berlin.ccc.de/pub/gd/contributions/dfingerd-0.2.tar.gz

    Andreas

    --
    "We show that all proposed quantum bit commitment schemes are insecure because
    the sender, Alice, can almost always cheat successfully by using an