Re: Fwd: Information on MS99-022

From: Russ (Russ.Cooperat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 23:52:07 PDT

    Just to keep things straight around here...I don't filter anyone's
    posts, I moderate a mailing list which has a lot of messages from a
    lot of people dropped on the floor for a lot of reasons.

    There wasn't 10 minutes between the release of MS99-022 and the time I
    had Microsoft, on the phone over the disclosure issue. I stated my
    case, that Microsoft must release "signature" details of internally
    discovered vulnerabilities to "the public", and was told there was a
    discussion going to be held on the issue. I believe I stated the case
    well, and that my intentions and recommendation on how to do this best
    were heard.

    It matters not who receives the full details, as long as they get to
    the public in a timely fashion. I don't feel that full and immediate
    disclosure is always necessary, or prudent (and neither does eEye),
    but its crucial that they do get into the public's hands. Neither
    Microsoft, nor ICSA, can assure anyone that any mechanism for
    disclosure is going to reduce, or eliminate, public
    disclosure...therefore any attempts at doing so from the beginning
    are, as someone else already said, Security By Obscurity.

    I'm as unhappy as everyone else that Microsoft appear to have chosen
    this route to the disclosure of internally discovered vulnerabilities.
    This will become even more obvious over the next few weeks,
    unfortunately. Although discussions, held recently during the
    NTBugtraq Party, may have some influence on their future
    disclosures...we can only hope.

    If anyone is going to "re-release Microsoft's advisories with full
    details", that's great. Every worthwhile post is going to make it to
    NTBugtraq. I will say this though, I do not believe that any such
    "re-release" can possibly provide us with the information we *need*
    and *demand* from Microsoft.

    It goes without saying that Microsoft have, for a very long time, been
    releasing what we would call "security fixes" within service packs
    without making any announcements. The fact that they do, now, provide
    a Security Bulletin is a Good Thing(tm). They say their customers
    don't want them "telling hackers how to do a better job". I say we
    can't possible know how good a job they, Microsoft, are doing without
    knowing more about vulnerabilities.

    Each Security Bulletin about an internally discovered vulnerability
    that is released without sufficient "signature" details erodes their
    credibility amongst the community of users who, possibly, may be the
    only ones trusted to say "Yes" or "No" to NT deployment in
    environments requiring security, stability, or integrity.

    "Trust" doesn't come exclusively from the availability of a fix. Its
    something earned and enhanced through the dissemination of accurate
    and timely information.

    Whether or not you, the individual Bugtraq reader, trust Microsoft or
    not isn't relevant here. Microsoft is less trustworthy if we, "the
    public", are not trusted with this information, period.

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor