Re: PGP 6.5.1 has been released

From: Steven M. Bellovin (smbat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 01:38:15 PDT

    >Self-Decrypting Archives. You may now encrypt files or folders into
    >Self-Decrypting Archives (SDA) which can be used by users who do not even
    >have PGP. The archives are completely independent of any application,
    >compressed and protected by PGP's strong cryptography.

    I'm glad this was on bugtraq -- any crypto product with "self-decrypting
    archives" is a serious security threat, at least for the other versions I've
    seen.  They involve an executable that does *something* -- but what?  The
    world has recently learned what I hope the folks on this list have long
    known -- that you can't trust email with executable content.