Re: Exploit of rpc.cmsd

From: John Hall (jhallat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 18:48:17 PDT

    It's more of a process of elimination; rpc.ttdbserverd was not
    running.  The only services active in inetd.conf were:

    daytime/tcp
    rpc.cmsd/rpc
    rpc.rstatd/rpc

    The hacker came from a compromised solaris system at verio.net.
    The only ports below 1024 accessible were 22 (SSH) and 123 and there
    was no daemon on port 123.  We were running a current SSH with no
    kerberos.

    Does anyone know why Sun is writing these daemons to listen on random
    high numbered ports as well as the privileged ones now?  It seems
    crazy to me to add this functionality on daemons running as root!

    JMH