Re: MS Chap v2 analysis

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 20:34:36 PDT

    In article <CB6657D3A5E0D111A97700805FFE65870B48E463@RED-MSG-51>,
    Paul Leach  <paulleat_private> wrote:
    > > From: Burton Rosenberg [mailto:burtonrat_private]
    > >
    > > the parallel structure of generating the challenge response [...]
    > > cuts down the strength of the PasswordHash from 16 to 14 bytes.
    >
    > Correct. But since the best attack is against the passwords themselves, the
    > reduction from 16 bytes to 14 bytes of strength from the password hash isn't
    > the primary issue.

    I disagree strongly!  This property greatly increases the performance
    of a dictionary attack---by a factor of about 65536, to be precise.

    Suppose we hash all the entries in a dictionary containing N words.
    Sort the results by the last two bytes in their hash, and burn this on
    a CD-ROM.  Then, when we see a MS Chap v2 exchange, we recover the last
    two bytes of the PasswordHash (using the method outlined by B Rosenburg)
    and look at the appropriate entries on the CD-ROM.  We will only need
    to examine N/65536 dictionary entries, and each of those can be tested
    by brute force.

    This reduces the cost of a dictionary attack by a factor of 65536,
    which is devastating, especially when you consider that most passwords
    contain relatively low entropy.

    I think this alone is enough to consider MS Chap v2 seriously broken...