Re: IGMP fragmentation bug - another behavior

From: Paul Murphy (Paul.Murphy@GEMINI-RESEARCH.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 02:40:12 PDT

    >I've compiled kod.c on Solaris SPARC 2.6:
    >SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
    >with gcc 2.8.1

    I tried this as well, and gave up trying to get it to run on Solaris
    after a few minutes.

    >after executing kod to some win host Solaris hme driver has been
    >choked and was in nonoperational mode about 1 min. After this
    >hme interface was reinitialized:
    >and machine continues work without problems.

    Strange - rather than try this, I'll believe you - our system with an
    HME interface is a production system, so no playing around...

    >But on SPARCstation 4 Model 110 with le card there are no problems
    with >executing kod. Interface not frozen... Also target win host
    machine continues >normal work.

    That's not surprising - the program compiles successfully, and although
    it reports that it is sending packets, Snoop reported that nothing was
    sent to the target machine.  The reason for this is that Solaris does
    not appear to support Raw IGMP - the "sendto" call fails, but since the
    program doesn't bother to check whether it was successful, it carries on
    regardless....

    Checking the return status of the "sendto", and reading the error
    number, we get  EPROTONOSUPPORT - suggesting that raw IGMP can't be sent
    over this interface.  To my mind, this is a _good_thing_ (TM).

    Paul.

    Paul Murphy - Head of I.T., Gemini Research Ltd
    162 Science Park, Cambridge CB4 4GH
    Tel. 01223 435305 Fax. 01223 435301
    http://www.gemini-research.co.uk/