Re: Shared memory DoS's

From: Mike Perry (mikeperyat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 12:47:23 PDT

    If you had read the report closely you would see that FreeBSD has no limits to
    set. The shells can set limits, but none of them effect mmap or shmget. Try
    actually running the exploit (with the __FUXX0R_SYSV__ option for best
    results.. See previous mails), you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

    If you still don't believe me, check sys/vm/vm_mmap.c and see for yourself.
    The only two limits checked are RLIMIT_MEMLOCK (a limit on the amout of memory
    a user can mark as non-swappable), and RLIMIT_STACK, a limit on how much stack
    space mmap can use if it is configured to mmap memory into the stack region
    for some reason (doesn't sound like the default, and when you want to map into
    stack, you have to specifically request it on BSD).

    The same goes for the Linux shells. They have limits, but none of them set
    RLIMIT_AS. You have to use pam, or Sys V init, or my patch. Lshell does not
    set the RLIMIT_AS limit either, you have to apply my patch to it (my path to
    login.c was actually based on lshell, and says so if you read it).

    After more research, it seems that System V implements RLIMIT_VMEM to
    stop people from exploiting this problem, but apparently when BSD implemented
    the Sys V IPC, they neglected to add an appropriate RLIMIT.

    P.S. For people who have reported to me that using small segments to map
    causes the program to segfault, this is because the default attack is mmap
    (see previous mails), and you can do an infinite number of private mmapings.

    I use an array of pointers to keep track of the memory to free it when the
    __REALLY_FUXX0R__ option isn't set. So I overrun my own buffer. The buffer
    size is 2 times the limit for SysV IPC shares for processes, so the buffer
    will not be overrun with that attack. (I was not about to realloc the buffer
    dynamically for mmap.. just use a larger buffer size to eat up more than your
    total ram using only SHMSEG*2 segments).

    Thus spake Nicolas V. Chernyy (nicoat_private):